[at-l] Ruck

Hopefully, DaRedhead, Kahley, POG and others will send in the links to
all things RUCK. The idea is a gathering of the usual suspects for a
social and relaxed event, sort of. The first RUCK occured in Harpers
Ferry (1998?) to aid a prospective thru hiker in paring his pack to
acceptable weight. Subsequent RUCKs have occurred in PA at the
Ironmasters Inn (or something like that) near the mid point of the AT,
on Superbowl weekend. Many of us Southern folks wanted to RUCK with out
a long drive and threat of weather problems. Hence we arranged a GA
RUCK, which was the same weekend and at Goose Creek Campgrounds, just
north of Neel's Gap. Actually, a RUCK can be declared whenever a small
handful or more gather, sort of like early Christians. ;-)

We are trying to avoid the idea of competition between the RUCKs, and
to allow folks to attend both if they really just gotta. This is not an
organized training camp or a community based festival. There might be
some pseudo competitions over stove designs, recipes, pack loading,
gear comparisons, story telling and lying. In 2000, the PA RUCKsters
organized a raffle, auction of gear and other stuff for the benefit of
the Hostel in Damascus.

BTW, welcome to the AT-L. Pull up a log and grab a smashmellow, and
maybe tell us a bit about yourself and your hikes.

Bill...