[at-l] Boy Scouts and policies

> From: The Lurker <lurker@ev1.net>
> Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2001 17:04:27 -0500
> To: "Paul Miller\(Wisperlight\)" <n3qny@starpower.net>, AT-L
> <at-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
> Subject: Re: [at-l] Boy Scouts and policies
>
> The BSA will instantly terminate any scout or scouter if they find out that
> one is
> gay.  Period.  I don't agree with policy, but is the policy.  The reason is
> not to
> prevent pediphiles, but rather their view of "Family Values."  I find it hard
> believe that they run off gays for "Family Veluse" and admit without checking
> the occasional alcholic, or smoker, or bad natured adult,   For them, the
> troop
> has to be the bully boy, but not for gays.  ??

This statement is not true.  There is no anti-gay policy in the Boy Scouts
There is no place on any form, whether it be for a Scout or an Adult Leader,
that asks about sexual preferences.

The Supreme Court case was a specific case where an openly gay Scoutmaster
was fired by the Troop Committee because the parents in the Troop Committee
did not think he was a proper leader for them.  The result of the case is
that the Boy Scouts of America have the *right* to fire an adult leader for
reasons of sexual preferences.

Charles