[at-l] To change the subject... The Half Gallon Club.

     Back in '81, I worked at a youth camp on Lake Tiorati in Harriman
State Park in New York. Since the AT ran past the north end of the lake,
we met a number of thru-hikers when we took the kids out hiking, and
some of them introduced us to the Half Gallon Club. When they hit town,
the thru-hiker would by a 1/2 gallon of ice cream, which of course they
would have to immediately eat in its entirety, thus joining the Club if
successful. By the end of the summer, it seems the story of the Club had
been passed up and down the trail, and quite a few folks had made the
attempt. Since I got the impression that the idea for the Half Gallon
Club had originated that year, I've wondered if it was carried on in
subsequent years, or if it was a one shot thing.

     Ron
--

yumitori(AT)montana(DOT)com