Re[7]: [at-l] R&R Why are you here?

I wrote: "...>That, of course, is your right. But unless you follow Wingfoot's lead and
>oust those who don't conform to your views, you have to expect that from
>time to time those of us who feel strongly about
>matters that affect the future of the trail will argue for positions on
>issues that some will find offensive or controversial."

Jim replies: "Let's try that again - first, both you and your friend are still here - this
isn't WF's list.

Second - where did WF come into this again?  Who was it who brought him up
again?  Who has the problem?  Again, Can it."

His post contains a lot of things that I have neither time, nor inclination to respond to. But my
original thought posted above, which Jim seems not to have understood, is simple: As long as you have an open
forum, as opposed to the closed forum that is Trailplace, you have to expect that from time to time
those of us who feel strongly about matters that affect the future of the trail will argue for
positions on issues that some will find offensive or controversial.

I felt moved to say this by posts that seemed to be saying that the AT-List doesn't welcome debate
over controversial matters.

I mentioned Wingfoot only because most seem to know that he has a closed forum, not an open forum.
I've learned from long experience that if you mention things on Trailplace that Wingfoot doesn't like you will be
ousted.

If the very mention of his name is so offensive -- even though "no one here hates him" -- my
apologies. I'll try not to do it again.

However, I do have a bit of advice. If you want a friendly, intelligent discussion of trail matters,
important or not, you should refrain from responding to conciliatory posts with words like
"bullshit", "manure," and "blowing smoke."

I offer this even though my new library sale book, which I'm enjoying a lot, quotes Oscar Wilde: "It
is always a silly thing to give advice, but to give good advice is absolutely fatal."

Weary