[at-l] Poison Ivy Prevention

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jack James" <jackjames@boone.net>

> What's the best product to apply for my backpacking to prevent poison
> ivy?

I've found that nothing is "best" because nothing has been fully effective
for me.  Unfortunately, I'm one of those folks who seems to be ultra
sensitive to the stuff - even to the point of having been hospitalized once
as a child because of my response.

However, the things that seem to have a modicum of worth are:
- - long sleeves, long pants, long socks; and,
- - two eyeballs that are constantly on the lookout.

The best I can do is reduce but not eliminate exposure.  I handle my boots
and pants with care when putting them on/taking them off because  the oil
adheres to the outside.  I try not to touch their outer surface or bring
them into the tent because then I would have the oil on everything else.  I
really carry this to extremes, segregating things that have been exposed
from those that haven't.  The longer the hike, the more difficult this is.

A day hike is simple.  Five days in the woods really present challenges to
this procedure.  I'm not sure what I'll do when I finally get to do my
thruhike - maybe hike in the winter?

If you should find something that really works, please let me know.

Al (Draggin' Anchor)