Re[6]: [at-l] R&R Why are you here?

David: I'm confused. Obviously there are good people here who do good things on behalf of the trail. I don't question
that. My question is based on your contention that "AT-L isn't a political organization and doesn't push political
view points. RnR would have it otherwise. This puts RnR at direct odds with
the purpose of the AT-L and the reason for the existence of its community."

My question is simple. Do people welcome it when others take advocacy positions on controversial matters in the
things they post on the list? I'm just trying to figure out what it is you are telling me. I sense
the list shies away from genuine debate of important matters, that only non controversial matters
are welcome.

That, of course, is your right. But unless you follow Wingfoot's lead and oust those who don't
conform to your views, you have to expect that from time to time those of us who feel strongly about
matters that affect the future of the trail will argue for positions on issues that some will
find offensive or controversial.

Frankly I find it offensive that attempts to stimulate debate on matters affecting the trail are
labeled as "manure" and "corruption." I suppose that is one way to silence the faint of heart. Fifth
graders use the technique all the time. Most adults don't.

Weary