[at-l] my weekend...

ACT ONE -

Friday after work, I drove from York PA to Philadelphia PA for a Drum Corps show at Franklin Stadium.. Had a great time at the show.
Left at 11pm for Bristol VA.  Traveled throughout the night past Baltimore and Washington on I-95, then took I-66 to I-81.  Was damn
tired at 5am.  Got off of the highway and pulled in to a motel parking lot, where I slept (in the van) for 3 hours.  Back on the
road, arriving at the Tinseltown Movie Theater in Bristol at 10am.  My friend had not yet arrived on his trip from Georgia.  I went
to WalMart, across the street, and bought a (100% polyester) shirt, since I had forgotten to pack a clean shirt.  Went back to
theater, and met with my buddy.  We got our tickets for the 12noon showing of A.I., then went to IHOP for breakfast.  I had
blintzes, he had eggs benedict.  We went back to the theater, bough popcorn, and saw the flick...

ACT TWO -

After the movie, we headed for Damascus.  I made only one wrong turn.  We arrived in Damascus, at the caboose, near the toilets, as
the rains came.  We hopped out of our respective vehicles and ran to the information board.  The info board had a roof, so we were
dry.  My buddy is not an Appalachian Trail friend, so I had a good time showing him the map on the info board, pointing here and
there, and then showing him a white blaze, which is on a telephone pole (maybe it is a tree) near the info board.  We stood around
under the roof of the info board waiting for the rain to stop.  Plans were then to walk the trail to Quincys for lunch.  One of my
goals while in Damascus was to go the The Place and look at the register to see if Shakeylegs (the northbound lister) had yet made
it to Damascus.  Well, up hikes Shakeylegs, thus relieving me of the need to find out if he is in town.  He had just hiked off of
the ridge in the rain.  Funny thing, my buddy had just (no more than a minute of two before this) asked what hikers do when it
rains.  I pointed to Shakey, and said that this is what hikers do when it rains.  We all walked (I guess Shakey was technically
hiking) to Quincys and had a nice meal.  The wait person was rude.  Okay, she wasn't really rude, she just knew that we could take
some abuse, so she let us have it.  We all grinned.  I bought Shakeys lunch...

ACT THREE -

After lunch, we all three said goodbye.  My buddy headed for Georgia, Shakey headed for The Place, and I headed north.  I was in
great spirits.  The day (nay, the weekend) had been great.  Now for the looooong drive home.  I got as far as Wytheville before my
sleepiness forced me to seek a motel.  To my dismay, this weekend is considered a holiday weekend, so the motel rates were sky high.
But it was too hot and muggy to sleep in the van, so I paid the big bucks.  I slept well.  This morning (Sunday) I was on the road
at 1030am.  The miles clicked off nicely.  Upon reaching northern Virginia, I had a decision to make.  Scoot east through Harpers
Ferry, then up pretty winding roads home, or continue north on the interstate and go see my buddy Junker, near Caledonia.  I headed
for Junkers.  He was glad to see me, and we yakked and yakked.  I said "Let's go for a walk", and we went shelter hopping.  First
stop, Rocky Mountain Shelters.  We took a blue blaze in from PA 233.  No one was home, and no register was available.  Next  stop,
Iron Masters Hostel, at Pine Grove Furnace State Park.  Shawn, the caretaker, was folding sheets, and just smiling away.  He was
having a good day.  He recognized me from the RUCKs, and I told him that I'd be back this January.  I mentioned Ready and Spur, and
his grin got real big.  They had recently come through on their honeymoon hike, and Shawn had known them from the RUCKs, and was
aware that they had met at a RUCK.  He was very happy to even have had a small part in their happiness.  Then Junker and I drove to
the trail and hiked the white blazes in to Toms Run Shelters, in the rain no less!  There were two weekender groups, one a couple
from Warren PA, the other, a guy and two gals (high schoolers), from Maryland.  All were very happy.  Junker and I talked with each
group at length...

Conclusion -

A great weekend...

Pittsburgh