[at-l] Intimate Dopamine.....

I was reading in Leah's journal (no, not slamming her hike again) on
trailjournals.com when she reached Upper Goose Pond by way of old AT.

I'll quote (can I do that?)

> "When I finally got to where Goose Pond meets Upper Goose Pond, the land
> bridge that I was expecting from the way that the map had been drawn wasn't
> there. Fortunately, there was a bass boat there and the folks in it gave me
> a ride across. Later I found out that the water is 8 feet deep, so I am
> very happy I didn't try to wade it. After I got across, I thanked the
> people and tried to find the AT cabin that I have been hearing about since
> Georgia.
> I walked up to this one cabin and the owner rushed out and told me that I
> was on private land. I explained to him that I was just looking for the AT
> cabin and I meant no harm. He cooled off and explained that the government
> was going to take his cabin that had been in his family since 1906, and he
> was little bitter about it. I felt bad for him because the trail is nowhere

I took the same route and when we reached the channel there was no way we
were getting across without getting very wet, packs included.  There happened
to be a canoe in the area and one of my hiking buddies called out for a ride.
 We got picked up by a woman in the canoe who thought that DoughHead was her
brother, or else she wouldn't have bothered to pick us up.

We heard the story about their land and their cabin and about AT encroachment
and how the state or the NPS was going to take their land and about how they
didn't like the hikers cutting through.

If I wasn't mistaken the people that "own" this land have had a ninety-nine
year lease for short money and a sweatheart deal with the state and now that
it's almost over they're feeling cheated.

If these are the circimstances, I don't feel bad for them.  Do you?  Perhaps
Cosmo or another that's closer to the area would know better.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---