[at-l] New Hampshire in October?

It's hard to make a list of gear for you. Don't know if folks from
Alabama can relate to the weather up here.

Earliest snow I've seen on Cannon Mountain (just off the AT in
Franconia Notch) was Labor Day weekend, 1982.

Columbus Day weekend on Wildcat Ridge in 1988 was spent hiking in 8+
inches of new snow. It was beautiful. That day I finished my NH 4000
footers.

You'll need the 20 degree bag for your trip, a sweater, 200 weight
fleece, fleece hat, gloves, long johns, etc. Not yet time for
snowshoes and avalanche finder (grin). The weather changes quickly,
and at that time of year the snow doesn't stay on the ground for very
long.

The hike from Sherburne Pass to Moosilauke is not high altitude and
you have lots of roads crossings if you wish to bail. It's likely
that it will already have snowed on Moosilauke before you get there
at that time of year.

Hope that helps. --RD '97

--
Arthur Gaudet