[at-l] Elitism, Wilderness & Through*Hikers

Just wanted to chime and and say I don't understand a dang thing about what
either of you are saying.  Perhaps that's the beauty of the thread?

For the record, I am all for singing the praises of traditional thru-hiking
if by that one means finding beauty in the idea of strapping a pack on one's
back and walking all the way from Maine to Georgia.

If promoting traditional thru-hiking means suggesting that a rewarding thru
can be done without spending gobs of money on hotels and sushi bars, I say
go ahead make your case.

If traditonal thru-hiking means accepting that the goal of becoming a 2,000
miler can be worthwhile one, and that honor dictates one can't skip sections
and still apply, I say great.  Frankly, I don't even care traditional
thru-hikers get upset when others lie.  Hell, I get pissed when my coworkers
cheat at golf, too.  I'm working on that emotion, but I don't deny it.
While their scores don't affect me in one bit, I rather lament the fact that
so many people's code of honor depends on who is looking.  And since I care
about thru-hiking more, I think it rather sucks how much honor has been
lost.

If supporting traditional thru-hiking means pointing out that a thru-hiker's
time on the Trail is the most important part of the adventure, and that you
should try research and apreciate the Trail's natural history at least as
much as your titanium pot, I say hallaluia.

Most of all, if being a booster of traditional thru-hiking means that one
believes the greatest influence on anyone's hike are the actions of the mob
hiking that year, and that to truely hike your own hike it is worthwhile to
think about what is important to you before hitting the Trail, I say that's
a good thing.

On the other hand, if traditional thru-hiking means we need to cite and
worship and try to divine what some Trail ikons from a couple of generations
ago would have to say today, well, you lost me.

Rick