[at-l] Re: [at-l]Mother Hen

Here's a picture from this year, of Mother Hen and family:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/13873024/13876726IZwPPtEHXW, it's
from MAM's section hike from Swatara Gap to PA 94.

Last year many, many hikers stayed with Mother Hen. It sounded too
hectic for me so I passed it by and slept in the woods. The
arrangement was very flexible, she sometimes let hikers use her van
to  shuttle other hiker's. I saw a nice long article about her on
posted on the outside wall of the ATC office in Boiling Springs. She
has a disabled child and liked having all the hikers coming and
helping out with the kid (I think she has several). She made
breakfast often for the hikers, and asked very little in return.

I also saw a reference to Mother Hen's place in 1999 so she was open
then also. The house was described to me as being "in town, with a
small yard". The washer/dryer was going constantly. Hikers sometimes
making their own meals. Since it wasn't set up as a hostel I'm sure
it was a bunch of hikers setting up whereever they could. I can
easily see the neighbors complaining.... Too bad though. --RD