[at-l] Shenandoah National Park, Handicap Accessible Trail

This past week I was in NC attending two family reunions.  On the
return trip (Up I-81) I took a side trip through SNP with the intention
of hiking down to Gravel Springs Shelter with my wife.   I had spent
some time at the shelter in 1962.  Unfortunately my wife had a bad
knee and was unable to do the hike.  She asked a ranger at Big
Meadows if there was an easy trail to hike and she recommended
the Limberlost Trail at MP 43.  This is a 1.3 mile stroll through old
growth hemlock forest (which is unfortunately dying).  The trail
intersects several other trails and one can readily make a longer or
shorter hike.  The real plus to this trail is that it is handicap
accessible.  It is a wonderful trail and we saw a number of people
pushing strollers and one gentleman in a wheel chair.  Though it
would be impossible to call the area wilderness, it does give those
with limited mobility and opportunity to enjoy nature.  It was a
pleasant 30 minute walk for us.  There are many interesting trails in
SNP besides the AT.  One ranger recommended that they be hiked
in October when the leaves are changing (He also stated that it
was the best time to hike the AT).

Grey Owl