[at-l] butane lighters, was waterproof matches

Last year while hiking south, I sat through a rainy day at the Tom
Floyd Wayside shelter just at Front Royal. I cleaned up my gear, made
a list for shopping, and completely disassembled the strike mechanism
on a BIC lighter. It had stopped working because it got wet earlier
in the day. I dried the flint and wheel, reassembled it and got on
with my hot chocolate drink.

This had happened before, on my '97 thru, and I found it
inconvenient. Up until that hike, I had been a "strike anywhere
match" kind of guy. I had learn my backpacking technique in the late
60's early 70's and I don't think butane lighters were around.
Rambleon, a legend from '97, used a butane lighter to light his
whisperlight. What a performance! The best was when the stove was
still hot, had pressure and he struck the spark just when the fumes
were up. His hand traced a curve he had learned well, and when the
flame came his fingers, and the lighter, were already on safe
territory away from the stove. This I learned to do. I won't go back
to using matches.

Question for the group: As a non-smoker I'm not aware of the
variations and qualities of the different lighters out there. Is
there a preferred unit? I know the little BIC served me well, but a
lighter-afficionado once sneared at my choice and showed me another.
I didn't notice the brand. How about a breakdown of those commonly
available?

--
Arthur D. Gaudet         	"Is walking down called hiking, too?"
(RockDancer)  	                 -heard at the top of Mt Washington, NH