[at-l] Mr. Patel's Motel

At 11:13 AM 6/21/01 -0400, Bluetrail@aol.com wrote:
>This is definitely trail related because I've stayed in many motels along
>the AT and the FT that were Indian-owned.  If fact, if we go in and the
>office smells like curry, I know it's gonna be cheap enough for us to stay
>there.
. . . clip . . .

>Now will someone explain why the owner's last name is almost always
>Patel?  Is Patel like Smith?

Just a guess but in traditional Indian society one's occupation is
determined to a great extent by one's caste which in turn is determined by
one's ancestry.  Perhaps the Patel family traditionally were innkeepers and
the immigrants continue to run the type business they were brought up with?

Saunterer