[at-l] waterproof matches

Have you tried dipping regular kitchen matches in melted paraffin.  Worked
quite well for many years before the commercial alternatives came on the
market. Just dip once or twice (allow to cool in between). When you need to
use them most of the time you can just strike them on a rough surface, or
use your knife or thumbnail to remove the wax on the tip. The added wax on
the wooden part aids burning.