[at-l] Dangerous Doctors?

Orange Bug wrote:

> This article is old news for many people in and out of medicine.
> Let's put it this way, Jack: if a psychiatrist fails to ask about
> firearms and other means of injury to the patient or others, what
> do you think a jury will decide? The doctor avoided a "Boundary
> Violation" or the doctor negligently failed to assess suicidal and
> homicidal risk factors?

The article wasn't talking about psychiatrists. Assessing
"homicidal risk factors" isn't the job of physicians.

> This is everyday stuff for me.

I don't doubt it. This type of  "stuff" is getting ubiquitous.
I know parents who have been asked by their family doctor
about the guns they own when they brought their kid in with
a sinus infection. The Fulminatrix herself was recently given
a questionnaire while checking in to a doctor's office which
asked her about her guns; this before they knew *anything*
about why she was there (she tossed the entire questionnaire
because of this).

And it isn't just happening in the doctor's office. A lot of
schools now are quizzing students about "risk factors" in
their homes.

>                       This is not a Second Amendment violation
> of the right to bear arms. This is simply a means of assessing
> one of many factors of danger in a household.

...which has nothing to do with the diagnosis of ailments.

>                                                 It is a smart orthopedist
who
> asks a chronic low back pain patient such a question, as this
> population is commonly depressed and self destructive.

Leaving aside the validity of that logic, what is an orthopedist
going to *do* once he learns that a patient with back pain
owns a gun? Tell the State so they can force him into mental
health counseling? Tell the cops so they can enter his home
and confiscate all the guns and pointy objects they find? Of
what use is this information, if not to provide some excuse for
the government to force the patient to do something "for his own
good." Correct me if I'm wrong, but the last I knew,  medical
doctors themselves can't coerce their patients into doing
anything.

Do I think this is all some sinister anti-gun rights crusade?
No. This sounds more like a combination of legal ass-covering
and sycophancy to a government that has increasing control
over the profession's ultimate destiny. Yet, given these days
where armed busybodies can come and relieve you of your
children, property or liberty with the flimsiest of pretense, I
think people are justifiably concerned when their doctor or
teacher asks them about things that are really none of their
damned business.

They usually
> also ask about slip rugs and other household hazards associated with
> further falls and other injury. Somehow, I don't think that very
> impressive journal will have a derivative article concerning slip rugs.

Then again, no one in this country is out to ban slip rugs or
ostracize owners of them.

> No, I do not have a sense of humor in this area.

Neither do I. The medical profession really can't afford to
alienate themselves at this time. Nothing good is going to
come out of this trend in the long run. You wait.

Yer pal,
-TXIIS