[at-l] my gear list

This is what I'm taking with me on the AT. It's what is basically in the pack. I thought I'd share
with everyone just so people have yet another gear list to chew on.

This list will change some depending on conditions. For example, if I were going to be in conditions
like I was in Isle Royale I'd add another set of pants (Ibex Guide) and Paramo Mountain Shirt (maybe
add down booties). If I was expecting generrally cooler temps and no bugs I'd toss the Bug Shirt,
add a Paramo Mountain Shirt (it's in the bounce box). For late 3 season (e.g., consistent highs in
upper 40s; lows 20s with good chances of much colder) I'd add a down vest and down booties. At worst
I expect the overall total weight would hit around 32 pounds.

To be fair I suppose the camera bag could be consider in-pack. After all, it is hanging off a
shoulder, but it isn't in the pack itself. If we make that change the worn total drops by about 2.1
pounds and the in-pack total rises by that much. But, the camera isn't putting stress on the G4 and
that is why I count it in the "worn" category.

This list might have some errors in it. I copied from the spreadsheet and may have made mistakes
along the way. It is, however, basically correct.

It does not list, and it should, crrying the AT databook, guide, and maps (10-14 ounces depending on
what they are I imagine; I think the PA set is the heaviest). Nor do I count my trekking poles. The
former should be counted of course so the base pack probably rises to about 11.25 pounds.

I will carry a pair of light camp shoes initially. I'm doing this since I understand Maine has lots
of nice muddy ground to cover. I'll want to give my feet a good break when I can. I don't expect to
keep the camp shoes. I guess they'll add 8 ounces (make the base pack about 12 pounds).

Base Pack:       4.694kg    (10.327 lb)
Consumables:     5.333kg    (11.733 lb)
Total pack:     10.024kg    (22.059 lb)
Worn items:      2.956kg    (6.503 lb)
Everything:     12.983      (28.563 lb)

Left to right:
Description, weight in grams, weight in ounces, in pack (i) or worn (w), the weights in grams
repeated for totaling purposes first for the (i) items then the (w) ones.

Description                             gram  ounces
Shelter, backapck, sleeping                              2,070 0
GVP Gear G4 backpack                    380   13.40   i  380
Integral Designs Sil Shelter            372   13.12   i  372
9 stakes various types, ties outs       150   5.29    i  150
Ryan Jordan inspired bivy sack          226   7.97    i  226
Western Mountaineering Iroquois         678   23.92
Nunatak Back Country Blanket  w/4       600   21.16   i  600
Overfill
Design Salt silk bag liner              132   4.66    i  132
Mt. Washington Pad w/o straps           210   7.41    i  210

Clothing                                                 1,116   1,814
OR Cornice hat                          46    1.62    i  46
fleece gloves                           90    3.17    i  90
hiking socks                            56    1.98    w          56
hiking socks                            56    1.98    i  56
Capilene underwear                      50    1.76    w          50
lightweight Capilene t-shirt            156   5.50    i  156
REI convertible pants                   352   12.42   w          152
Ibex Icefall jacket                     420   14.81   i  420
Moonbow rain chaps                      62    2.19    i  62
Stephenson Poncho                       206   7.27    i  206
OR Sonora Sombrero                      80    2.82    i  80
Marmot down vest                        410   14.46   i  410
Salomon Raid Wind                       956   33.72   w          956

Kitchen                                                  434   0
Photon Stove w/2 fuel dispensers        64    2.26    i  64
new wind screen                         32    1.13    i  32
0.4L Evernew titantium cup              50    1.76    i  50
0.9L Evernew titanium non-stick pot     138   4.87    i  138
lexan spoon                             10    0.35    i  10
2L Platypus Hoser                       40    1.41
SWA inline water filter                 140   4.94    i  140
SWA push-pull filter                    150   5.29    i  150
Modifiedy tubing for SWA GravityFilter  14    0.49    i  14
SWA GravityFilter 128oz bag             110   3.88    i  110

Misc. hiking almost essentials                           600   188
Toiletries kit                          260   9.17    i  260
First Aid kit                           270   9.52    i  270
keychain w/red & white Photon, knife    76    2.68    w        76
50' rope                                70    2.47    i  70
2 bandana     0.00
compass                                 22    0.78    w        22
monocular                               90    3.17    w        90

Misc. hiking optionals    474   714
Nikon Coolpix 950 w/ batteries          438   15.45   w        438
Handspring Visor Platinum w/batteries   164   5.78    i  164
Handspring Visor Platinum cover         20    0.71
Handspring Visor Platinum case          30    1.06    i  30
Targus keyboard for Handspring Visor    230   8.11    i  230
camera/battery large pouch (w/strap @ 28g)    300   10.58
mini tripod (Q-Pod)                     58    2.05    w        58
Extra flash cards                       20    0.71    w        20
Camera filters (2)                      108   3.81    w        108
lens cleaning kit                       40    1.41    w        40
Trails Illustrated map                  0     0.00    i  0
4 AA batteries                          50    1.76    w        50
4 AA batteries                          50    1.76    i  50

Food, Water, & Fuel       5,333   0
5 days of food (800g/day)               4,000 141.09  i  4000
1L Water average                        1,000  35.27  i  1000
500ml alcohol in bottle                 333   11.75   i  333

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **