[at-l] More on first aid for burns

>Those were great scenarios on burns.  I'd be real curious to know what the
>best course of action would be.

The thing that I thought interesting about those scenarios is that both go
right to the heart of what I think could be one of the most important
decision in the backcountry-- when to stay put and call in the calvery.

In the Boy Scout situation, for example, I would be smart enough to
recognize that the hoarse voice spoke of a potentially serious problem. I
would probably insist that the boy seek medical attention in the next couple
hours, but I doubt that I'd have the conviction to do much more.  When in
doubt, I'd just walk out.  The thing that I have taken from your example is
a realization that I really don't have a clue about the consequences such a
delay could cause.  Without that understanding, I don't think I would be a
great leader in that situation.

Rightly or wrongly, I would be more concerned in the case of the woman who
was burned by the tent.  I'd be concerned in a big way that walking out
could contribute to the woman going into shock, even though I don't have a
very good understand about what shock is all about.  Assuming that she were
able to walk out under her own power, I am not sure I'd have the conviction
to tell her to stay put while I went for assistance.

Indeed, those were interesting scenarios.  Others would be well advised not
to get burned around me.

Rick