[at-l] Evidence Of Trailplace Effectiveness

<< Dan:

 [private comments about Saddleback removed]

 I also want to thank you (belatedly) for the support you generated for the
 Gulf tract near Max Patch. I'm familiar with that property. It will be a
 great addition to the national forest and provide an excellent buffer for
 the A.T. I know that the letters and calls of support generated by
 Trailplace made a real difference with the appropriations staff in
 Congress. Ultimately, the Gulf tract was one of only a relative handful of
 line items in this year's LWCF appropriations bill.

 Dave

    The above was written by Dave Startzell, Executive Director of the
Appalachian Trail Conference to Dan Bruce in regard to the Gulf Tract
Trailplace effort.

     Further comments by WF indicated that those in the know in positions of
influence were also aware of the significance of the Trailplace e*mail input.
The Putnam mine was another case, as well, where the e*mails were counted as
reason of proof for public concern by the State in revoking the mining
permit. I could request the Tennessee representative's office for a personal
proof of Trailplace effectiveness, but I'm afraid I would get a need to know
response. I equally would not ask AT*L letter writers to dig up how effective
their non*E*form letters were to prove to me how much better they were than
Trailplace's. At this point it would be more like petty denial than honest
inquiry.

     If possible, I would like to continue discussing why (in my view) I
think some of the intentions of the original Trail project have been
overlooked by some of the posters engaged in the debate.

    Thanks   *   R 'n R