[at-l] Equipment sorting?

I was trying to sort out my camping equipment today, with a goal of
having the right stuff when I head out for various levels of
camping.
Day hiking, overnighters, bike touring, motorcycle touring and light
car camping.  The plan of record says "The Trail" next year.
I started looking at stuff and putting "heavy kitchen" and "light
kitchen" in separate bags.  Convenience stuff like my 12v plugin light
and Norelco shaver(!) go with the motorcycle/car touring stuff - and
so on.

But then I realized that somebody (maybe MANY somebodies) had already
thought this through and probably have great advice.
Any suggestions on how to organize and prepare?

Thanks!
Chuck Kichline
chuck@kichline.com
http://kichline.tsx.org