[at-l] Hiking Ethics

Not necessarily. It is hard to make friends if you accuse them of condoning
vandalism and criminal activity simply because they are not True Believers
in the Great and Almighty Oz, or if you demean someone's mentor reflexively.

HYOH is not a license for abuse of the trail or of other hikers. The
Fletcher quote appears to me to support this concept. No guide or set of
rules is sufficient to determine what you are going to do on the trail when
you get there. You will HYOH, whether you want to or not. If you try to
hike the schedule or the guidebook or the party line, you will have the
trail firmly correct the error of those ways.

The fact will remain that more fools, idiots and ill prepared folks will go
out for a walk than expert hikers. There will always be the rotting poor,
as some good book said. There will be times that we will be our brother's
keeper at the most inconvenient time, as well as times that we would wish
our brother would HYOH somewhere's else. The problem appears to be the
intolerance of variety among hikers and people, and the surprised reaction
when intolerance receives a raucous response.

OrangeBug