[at-l] animal stories

Smokies headlines for Thursday, June 14

Man bitten by bear in Smokies campground

MARYVILLE -- Richard Hatten's departure from the Land of Nod was rapid
and
interesting.
"I popped my eyes open, and there was a bear 16 inches from my face."
http://www.gosmokies.com/insidethepark/news/kg06122001.html

Two bears captured after attack on Elkmont camper destroyed

Great Smoky Mountain National Park wildlife officials destroyed two
bears
Tuesday that were captured after an attack on a camper in the Elkmont
Campground last weekend, officials said.
http://www.gosmokies.com/insidethepark/news/ba06132001.html

Recovery efforts begin focusing on golden eagles

Now that bald eagles are nesting successfully throughout East Tennessee,
wildlife officials are turning their recovery efforts to golden eagles,
the
bald eagle's larger and more land-based cousin.
http://www.gosmokies.com/insidethepark/news/ge06132001.html