[at-l] R 'n R's Apology For Traditionalism

>From: "Jim and/or Ginny Owen" <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>
>It's been said before - but WF is and has always been a part of the
>problem.  His publicity efforts in 1987 (personal appearances in the >towns
>along the way, newspaper interviews, etc.) to increase >awareness of the AT
>in celebration of it's 50th anniversary brought >about an immediate jump in
>thenumbers of thruhikers. I think the >numbers almost doubled between 1987
>and 1989.

Not exactly, unless the completion rate or veracity of 2,000 miler claims
changed dramatically during that time period.

About 125 people reported hiking the entire AT in 1985.
About 148 people reported hiking the entire AT in 1987.
About 203 people reported hiking the entire AT in 1989.