[at-l] The Burn and FSN/Cotton/Rules

What to do if you (in general, not _you_ specifically) aren't prepared for
a burn? Off list, I had a similar message, suggesting that the advice to
debride and clean the wound was a bad idea prior to arrival at ER. The
writer noted that the blister serves as a wound cover, I suppose much as
the blister with a foot friction event. I am not sure that is correct
management if the blister has broken (and is likely to be broken with any
significant second degree burn), or if there is neighboring skin
disruption. In such a case, the dead tissue and fluid may act as a
opportunity for infection. I would still encourage cleaning the wound just
as for abrasion or laceration or fractured bone.

If you do not pack Silvadene, I'd still caution against use of Triple
antibiotic cremes due to the risk of injury from systemic exposure to
Neosporin. I'd suggest cleaning the wound, perhaps using Betadine or
dissolved iodine diluted, and covering the wound with the cleanest cloth
you have available. I then would send the victim to the ER. Since you
probably don't carry latex gloves and have exposed yourself to their blood
and other fluids, accompany the victim to the ER as you may need care, also.

I question why anyone would carry Bandaid and leave a roll of gauze at
home. I can do more with gauze than a Bandaid anytime. A 4 inch by 4 yard
roll of cotton gauze, perhaps with a non-stick pad cover can't weigh 2
ounces. I could tie it, use duct tape, clip with a diaper pin (my zipper
pull of choice) or use real tape if I wanted to.

If I did pack Silvadene, I'd ask about infections and medical problems as I
also got the victim's name and address. I'd do that while putting on my
latex gloves that contained my first aid kit. Unless there was an obvious
problem regarding immune suppression (HIV, cancer chemotherapy, or other),
I'd use the Silvadene in an emergency and feel confident as a Good
Samaritan. I'd encourage and assist the victim's transport to more
definitive evaluation and care, as well as leave my name and address.
Frankly, I'd rather be sued for my actions, not for my neglect.

I recognize that as a medical person, I am likely to be the most proficient
physician on the scene in a crisis in the woods. I consider it my
responsibility to consider such emergencies, and try to encourage others to
do likewise. I think that if you carry gear, including first aid, you
should be familiar with the purposes and limitations of your gear. Do that
Wilderness First Responder course, or some first aid course if you hope
that someone will be competent to attend to your injuries out there. Do not
put prescription medications in your first aid kit without understanding
the use of that gear. Do not bring over the counter medications if you
aren't familiar with their use and problems.

OrangeBug
<And of course, discuss contents of the first aid kit with a real world doctor>