[at-l] Lyme Disease Article in NYTimes

Read this article folks, and plan for more controversy as the NEMJ gets
ready for press time in July! This is controversial, but adds fuel to
thought at least regarding how helpful the Lyme vaccine may be -
especially for a rare condition with potentially very inexpensive and
rapid treatment.

I wonder if anyone would do a similar study of nonvaccinated hikers or
outdoorsmen and workers with a preventative dose of doxycycline every
week, month or season (with placebo control).

Will Doxycycline become as common as aspirin and Pepto Bismol in first
aid kits? Should we stop trying to do tick checks on these little deer
ticks and start making a nightly wash cloth scrub part of our routines?

I'm also going to be very interested in the letters to NEJM after this
is put to press to see what "other conditions" are postulated, as I
suspect that we are seeing some crossover of chronic fatigue syndrome
and fibromyalgia in those seen as chronic Lyme sufferers. We might even
being to figure out what these conditions really are, after decades of
controversy regarding their existence.

Thanks for the head's up.

Bill...