[at-l] whisperlite stove.

the air space is necessary to pressurize the bottle.  It is virtually
impossible to pressurize a liquid (it can be done but it takes more power
than the pump has).  It is the compressed air in the bottle that propels
the liquid fuel out.  the fact that the stove worked better as the trip
progressed leads one to speculate that the use of fuel created the
necessary airspace. Obey the fill line!
Rich