[at-l] Access to Baxter State Park

I know that Baxter told you the park could not give out reservations for the
dates you want. Probably so.

Still, here is what I would do if I were in your position.  I would send an
overnight letter along with the proper reservation form and check for the
dates you want requesting bunkhouse space at "Roaring Brook Campground".  I
would also include a VERY nice note explaining your willingness to accept
any other accommodation, or be put on a waiting list (which probably doesn't
exist) for such a spot.

Here is why:  Baxter State Park fills there reservation very quickly. That's
just life.  I have only limited experience with this, but here is what I can
share: On one occasion when everything else was full, I was given a spot in
the bunkhouse which was virtually empty otherwise. Weird. On 2 other
occasions when I had made the "perfect" reservations in advance for holiday
weekends, I noticed that only a handful of people were staying in that
bunkhouse.  That got me thinking.  For the family vacation type hikers, who
would possibly want to take the Mrs. and the kids to stay in a bunkhouse
located just off a parking lot?  Also, since most all people travel in
groups, what are the odds that a bunkhouse is going to fill up to its exact
capacity?  Is it possible that the reservations clerks overlook this as a
possibility, or that they leave a number of extra there spaces "just in
case"?  Perhaps in case the President visits?  Or for work crews?

Probably not.  I could be all wet on this.  They said everything was full.
You probably wont get a camping reservation.  But, this tact would be
something that I think would be worth considering.  Nothing ventured nothing
gained.  Of course if you have a RBCG reservation and decide not to spend
the night there but rather spend it at the thru-hiker lean-to, you should
inform the rangers of that change when you get to the park.  If by some
miracle this does work for you, let me know.  If not, don't bother.  I will
continue to live in my imaginary world and just assume you didn't write a
nice enough letter ;-).  Have a great Southbound trip.

Rick (a long-shot is better than no shot) Boudrie ME=>GA 19AT3