[at-l] My AT pack list

This is, more or less, my current AT pack list. There are some things that
will change and as things change no doubt weight will increase. For example,
the first aid kit and toiletries kit wieghts are probably both inaccurate
though I'm not sure if they'll rise or fall (shouldn't be by much either
way). There are some other things that are not accurate either and there are
a few things that might be moved to the bounce box such as the Paramo Mt.
Shirt if I decide temperatures are going to be quite warm (I'll keep the
Icefall for cool nights). Another area of issue is overall food. I am not
sure how much I will carry per day. The values shown here are for about 5
days of food weighing around 1.75 pounds/day. But, I somehow doubt I
actually carry that much though I probably should.

The table below lists gear description, weight in grams, then ounces,
whether it is in the pack (i) or worn (w) followed by a repeat of the weight
(I'm not removing everything. I'm lazy).

The largest chunk of weight is, as you would expect, in the consumables. The
base pack weight is at 5.638kg (12.4lb). Even if that ends up rising a
kilogram I'd be pretty happy since that would still leave it below 15
pounds. The skin-out weight will be around 30 pounds.

This list of gear is pretty close to what I took on my recent Isle Royale
trip
<http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk/travels/Isle_Royale_5_2001/diaryFrames.html>.
That trip added a few items include fleece hat, wool gloves, and Ibex Guide
pants, and a different bag bivy which was twice as heavy as what you see on
this list (26-28 ounces all told). I carried food for 7 days and the water
amount was about the same. So, the skin-out weight was 5 or so pounds more
at the start of the trip. Temperatures were considerably cooler there than I
imagine they'll be on the AT even in Maine (night temps for sleeping were
consistently in the low 30s).

I hope people find this list interesting....

Shelter, backapck, sleeping                             2,070        0
GVP Gear G4 backpack                    380   13.40  i  380
Integral Designs Sil Shelter            372   13.12  i  372
9 stakes various types, ties outs       150   5.29   i  150
Ryan Jordan inspired bivy sack          226   7.97   i  226
Nunatak Back Country Blanket  w/4oz.    600   21.16  i  600
overfill
Design Salt silk bag liner              132   4.66   i  132
Mt. Washington Pad w/o straps           210   7.41   i  210

Clothing                                                1,380     1,694
hiking socks                            56    1.98   w               56
hiking socks                            56    1.98   i  56
Capilene underwear                      50    1.76   w               50
lightweight Capilene t-shirt            156   5.50   i  156
Paramo Mountain Shirt                   400   14.11  i  400
Elite Original Bug Shirt (M)            280   9.88   w               280
Ibex Icefall jacket                     420   14.81  i  420
REI convertible pants   352   12.42  w               352
Moonbow rain chaps                      62    2.19   i  62
Stephenson Poncho                       206   7.27   i  206
Salomon Raid Wind                       956   33.72  w               956

Kitchen                                                 402          0
Photon Stove w/2 fuel dispensers        64    2.26   i  64
0.4L Evernew titantium cup              50    1.76   i  50
0.9L Evernew titanium non-stick pot     138   4.87   i  138
lexan spoon                             10    0.35   i  10
SWA inline water filter                 140   4.94   i  140
SWA push-pull filter                    150   5.29   i  150
Modified tubing for SWA GravityFilter   14    0.49   i  14
SWA GravityFilter 128oz bag             110   3.88   i  110

Misc. hiking almost essentials                          642          260
Toiletries kit                          260   9.17   i  260
First Aid kit                           270   9.52   i  270
keychain w/red & white Photon, knife    76    2.68   w               76
wallet                                  72    2.54   w               72
50' rope                                70    2.47   i  70
2 bandana                               0.00
compass                                 22    0.78   w               22
monocular                               90    3.17   w               90

Misc. hiking optionals                                  874          904
Nikon Coolpix 950 w/ batteries          438   15.45  w               438
Handspring Visor Platinum w/batteries   164   5.78   i  164
Handspring Visor Platinum case          30    1.06   i   30
Targus keyboard for Handspring Visor    230   8.11   i  230
camera/battery large pouch              300   10.58
mini tripod (Q-Pod)                     58    2.05   w               58
Extra flash cards                       20    0.71   w               20
Camera filters (2)                      108   3.81   w               108
lens cleaning kit                       40    1.41   w               40
AT books/map                            400   14.11  i   400
4 AA batteries                          50    1.76   w               50
4 AA batteries                          50    1.76   i   50

Food, Water, & Fuel                                      5,333       0
5 days of food (800g/day)               4,000 141.09 i   4000
1L Water average                        1,000 35.27  i   1000
500ml alcohol in bottle                 333   11.75  i   333

Notes:
  * I might switch to my Trangia instead of the Photon. For some things, like
    boil-in-bag omelets the Photon is jsut too intense. I don't have the simmer
    ring for it. Also, I seem to waste fuel using the stove though that'll
    get less pronouced with more use. It's a great fast stove.
  * SWA filter system will change to the hydration reservoir they sell (90oz).
  * I'll probably carry an extra 2L platy
  * matches aren't shown. I don't have a box to weigh right now. I need to get a
    good lighter like Don's Scripto too though good matches would be enough.
  * I might add my little Sangean radio (~3.25oz).
  * I might add a section or two of z-rest for a sit pad (~2oz).

  ** Ken **

**       krk@speakeasy.org        http://www.speakeasy.org/~krk     **