[at-l] Re: WF and all that

>First let me welcome Rick back to the campfire - if memory serves, he was
>here before atml started?

Hi Jim, While I e-mailed you quite a time ago to say that I thought your
"Thru-hiker Papers" were brilliant (still do, BTW), and then again a few
months back to say I thought you were missing something since WF looks not
to have applied for 2,000 miler status in the year you hiked, I haven't sat
around this campfire in the past.  On slow days I have looked thru the
archives, however.

>Then he must have gone over there and stayed cause he disappeared.  That's
>how atml got started

Perhaps I am the exception.  But former southbounders should be, right?

>I'm not gonna touch that one right now - aahhhh hell, yes I am.  Some time
>ago I warned at-l that if WF's list went down, there'd be >an exodus
>(albeit temporary) of atml people onto at-l.  My words, as >I recall, were
>-"pray for WF's health".  We just may get back to this >later - but not
>today.

Sorry to hear you feel that way.  One thing you might want to keep in mind
is that the vast majority of people on Trailplace are new to the Trail, and
just looking for some support before taking the leap.  Sometimes these
conversations take the form of "WHat is the best pot", but there is, I
think, something much more important behind those kinds of questions.  It is
that group of people that makes Trailplace matter most, IMO.

>I'm not sure where you want to take this - or what your point is, so I'll
>make mine and you can respond or not as you see fit. On this particular
>subject.

Sure.  WF was called out for lying to become listed as a 2,000 miler the
year you hiked the Trail.  I wasn't there.  I can't speak to the fact that
he hiked the Trail in all or in part.  All I can say with some degree of
certainty is that he wasn't listed in the ALDHA book as having been recorded
as a 2,000 miler.  That can mean only one of two things.  The ALDHA left his
name off in error or he didn't apply those years.  Hell, I don't know which
is the case.  My point is that the truth on that is cloudy from where I am
sitting.    I can't say if he has 7 certificates on his wall, and for what
years.  I have not been in his house.  If I was, I would probably be sitting
with my back to the wall.  Thats a joke, BTW.  I can say that I believe I
accurately read with my own eyes that he was only listed for 5 years in that
ALDHA yearbook.  Again, my point is simply that things are cloudy from where
I am sitting.  If you have been monitoring Trailplace, you would take note
that WF goes to great pains to distinguish the difference between 2000 miler
accomplishment and a thru-hike.  Perhaps thats for self-serving reasons.  I
don't know.  Thats all I am telling you and others on this list.

>5. But he DID claim the '92 hike through ATC.  Check with ATC if you have
>any questions about this.

Can you do that? You didn't call did you?  You can really call the ATC and
check up on these things?

>DON'T get this wrong - he did 3 supposedly "pure" thruhikes - and for that
>he gets points.

How many points do you get?

>he hasn't.  But it gets right irritating when those who don't know what's
>real and what's not show up on at-l and call us liars out of >their own
>well of ignorance.

Jim, I am not calling you a liar.  If anything, if you want to cast it as
such, I am just saying that you haven't prooven your case to me.  I hope
thats OK to say.  What's more you don't have to. You guys have been going
over this for years, its probably getting a bit old by now.
To that end, I HOPE to not get dragged too deeply into this.  What I think I
will do is limit myself to just one WF related post for 5 of something more
to the spirit on this list.  I am going to try, anyhow.

>Next time, I'll buy

Then forget the beer, I rather prefer cognac.

>Your beliefs, your actions - are your choice.

Better to discuss that one after a half bottle.

Rick Boudrie