[at-l] Folklore?

It's called Midsummer in my reference, falling between Beltane (May
1) and Lughnasa (August 1). In the mythographic representation of the
8 Stations fo the year it is "the beginning and end of the year; the
holly king succeeds the oak king". Probably associated with male
initiation rites, puberty rites, warrior rites. Midwinter is assigned
the female initiation rites.

The Druid holidays were celebrated according to a lunar calendar so
the full moon determined the date of the festival. In the neo-pagan
calendar it's done by date (solar calendar). It just happens that
this year they coincide.

Eclipses can only happen when the moon is full, and it doesn't happen
every time of course. I've been reading a lot lately about Stonehenge
and it's use as a predicting tool for eclipses. Moderns seem to think
that the ability to predict eclipses was an essential attribute of
the druid priesthood. Archaelogists now assign that reasoning to the
late neolithic creators of Stonehenge.

btw, the Druids were latecomers to Stonehenge according to modern
archaelogy. By the time they arrived on the scene Stonehenge had been
in use for 2200 years! The construction period is from 2800 to 1500
BC,  before Copper, Bronze, and Iron Ages. The periods given for the
Druids range from 6th century BC to 6th century AD. So in terms of
time, we are closer to the Druids than the Druids were to the
Neolithic creators...

This is from John King's "The Celtic Druid's Year", John Fowles "The
Enigma of Stonehenge" and Gerald Hawkins "Stonehenge Decoded".

RockDancer '97