[at-l] Air Mat Sleeping questions

On Tue, 29 May 2001 14:07:58 -0500 "t." <tjfort@netdoor.com> writes:
> i'm curious.   Has anyone used a air mattress / pool float?  they
> can't be that heavy, and inflate to at least 4 inches??

For a couple years I used an air mat. If I recall it weighed in at about
2.5 pounds. To me that was too heavy. Also, in cold weather, I found that
I needed to put a closed cell foam pad between me and the air mat or I
would sleep cold all night. That was more weight.

I had been using a 3/4 length thermarest but found that I had to sleep
with my feet on something or I'd wake up with a back ache. Actually I
always had back pain so I moved from the 3/4 thermarest to the air mat. I
have to say that I've never had such comfort while sleeping on the ground
as when I was using the air mat.

One year, my wife got me a full length thermarest for our anniversary.
All she got was 31 roses and some ear rings, boy did I feel like a dirty
dog. Every time I lay down on my full length thermarest, my conscience
really bothers me......right up til the moment I drop off to wonderful
sleep!!

When I car camp, I still take my old air mat because sleeping on it and
the closed cell pad is just great. If I had back troubles or just could
not get used to a slimmer pad, I think I'd find some way to dump gear so
I could carry the air mat. Fortunately, the full length thermarest is
good enough. My method for using it is to let it self inflate and then
huff and puff til I over inflate it. Next, I lay down on it and open the
valve to let some air out. I do this while on my side. Just as I feel my
hip start to touch the ground, I close the valve. I find that there is
enough air in side to give me good support and padding and yet not so
much that the thermarest feels bouncy.  Hopeful

GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.