[at-l] Sleeping questions

Oooh... Here's one I can answer after my new expereiences as an REI
employee...

Personally speaking, I can't sleep on the 1" thermarest.  Just not quite
enough padding.  Others I know feel the 1" is plenty, but not me.  However
you could look into the Guidelite series of thermarests which are 1 1/2 "
thick, but about 30% lighter than a standard (also more expensive,
however!).  If I were to buy another one, I'd get the Guidelite model.  I
have a standard 3/4 and a full length ultralite.  Can't sleep well on the
ultralite, but much more comfy on the standard.  And they are about the
same weight, I tried trading loft for length and loft wins!  If I can't
sleep, I am NOT having fun.

Also, given your large torso, you might even look at a wider pad, such as
the Camplite model thermarest, which is 25 inches wide, rather than 20.
(also more expensive!)  It's made the same as the guidelite, but is wider
and somewhat longer, thus heavier.

Good luck!

Sharon

draker@kearsarge.navy.mil writes:
>I know it has been a while since I posted, but I am deployed right now in
>the Mediterranean Sea and email access is not as available as it is state
>side.
>
>My questions on specific gear are:
>
>Is there that big a difference between 1" thick Therma Rest and 1 1/2" as
>far as comfort goes.  Is it worth the extra ounces?
>
>I have a 46" chest and wide shoulders and I find most mummy bags like a
>straight jacket, Does anyone know of a sleeping bag that is a bit more
>roomier.    I am looking at the Sierra Design Stretch bags...
>
>Any suggestions?
>
>Thanks
>
>Russ
>
>GO NAVY!