[at-l] Re: A Good Business Model?

OB commented about what he perceived as some service problems at Rainbow
Springs and was promptly labeled arrogant by those who disagreed (it's a
good thing we can say what we think on this list without people taking us
to task over it).  I made the general observation that businesses often
succeed despite the fact that they do (or don't do) things that are
supposed to be deadly to businesses.  In response I got jumped on too by
folks who came to the defense of Rainbow Springs even though I was talking
about businesses in general and had only second hand information about RSC
(some positive and some negative).

This just proves my observation.  You don't have to run a business
according to MBA standards to succeed.  There are enough people out there
that are happy (for whatever reason) with what they get, that less than
model businesses survive.   If a business chooses not to make a continuing
effort to listen to complaints and "do it better" (referred to in business
circles as "continuous improvement" which, BTW, is not kissing butt), it
may or may not have a negative effect on the longevity of the
business.  The beauty of a thru-hike for both parties is that if a
thru-hiker isn't satisfied, you just keep on walking.  There's an endless
flow of others coming behind you that just may be happy with what you were
not.  To each his own.

Saunterer