[at-l] A Good Business Model?

Opening disclaimer:  I do *not* feel that OB's comments suggesting that a
certain campground could use the services of a business consultant were
arrogant and I believe his intent was purely charitable with the intent of
insuring the continuance of said business so that it would continue to be
available to hikers in the future.  His experiences were not first
"downside" report I have heard/read on that establishment.

That being said I found the discussion interesting because it confirmed
once again an observation I have made repeatedly in my 26+ years working
with employers in the Dept of Labor.  And the observation is... "I am
utterly amazed at the number of long term successful businesses that are
out there despite being run in the most atrocious manner imaginable".  I am
amazed because from all reports running one's own business is an extremely
risky endeavor with very high failure rates.  The SBA has some very
discouraging data for those embarking on their own business.  If SBA data
is to be believed the 1st year failure rate is considerably higher than the
success rate (by several times).  In spite of this, over the past 26+ years
I have seen businesses that treat their customers like dirt, treat their
employees worse, sell crap, make promises they don't keep, give lousy
service, overcharge, etc., etc. and they are still successful year after
year after year.  It boggles my mind.

Sure, there are sometimes explanations.  Perhaps this is the only business
around doing or selling what you need so you have to put up with their
eccentricity (polite terminology). After all you can't get your car fixed
on the Internet.  You have to have a mechanic even if he does make you wait
a week, chews tobacco and drools tobacco spit on your upholstery.  But I'm
still puzzled.  The Brits are supposedly the connoisseurs of eccentricity
but I've encountered Americans who will *deliberately* go to businesses
where they know they will be abused by the owner.  They're actually amused
by it.  I've seen people who having been warned that a certain business
charges for work not done, pads bills for work that was done or various
other things which are even mildly illegal and they'll *still go there*
because they like the business's TV ads or they met the owner once socially
and he "seemed like a nice guy". (mentally insert spinning head image
here)  Hell, rotten politicians get re-elected like that all the time.  And
there are enough of these folks to keep all these badly run businesses
going.  Perhaps in a society where we hear "Have a nice day" (mentally
insert image of me gagging) from every chain enterprise that follows a
proper business model we need the relief of knowing that someone can still
succeed without a painted smile and an ISO 9001 method for dealing with
customers.  Maybe the experts on how to run a business aren't all that expert.

Saunterer