[at-l] Fwd: Campground Hours

> Nope, no degree in campground management. I only know that there seems
> to be some problems with the apparent value of the services rendered -
> fixed pricing for cabin, bunks, camping space, parking space, etc. Many
> have commented on the amount and quality of food choices in their
> store. Some complain and some find the Red Baron Pizza the greatest
> thing they've had since Dawsonville. I've found their ice cream among
> the coldest and best selections anywhere. Many have noted the frequent
> tone of complaints by both customers and management at RSC.
>
> I'd suspect that if staffing is chronically short each spring, there
> might be some thought toward part time staff, eliciting shuttle
> services from the community, making a shuttle schedule (like Blueberry
> Patch and HI/Hiawassee) or finding some way to deal with the time
> constraints without appearing to whine about the problem. My grandpappa
> taught me that you plow when the fields are right and be glad for the
> chance. I know that my long hours pay the rent and let me hike.
> Usually, a business can do very well by finding a customer's problem as
> an opportunity to expand business. I think many of the hiker services
> I've seen have this business view and a few do not. I know that both
> RSC and Mt. Mamma's have vital services very conveniently located. I
> suspect RSC could make a killing by becoming much more value conscious
> and reduce the temptation to hitch into Franklin. I don't know if the
> current management can do that if they are burned out or committed to
> working on a limited staffing and service model. This isn't a matter of
> doing 26 hours in 24 hours of a day. Staying in catch up mode rarely
> works well for anyone.

> Maybe they could use a consultation from a graduate in campgroung
> management. Do we know one? Anyone else willing to pay $50 toward that
> consultation (I'd like to see them thrive - not just survive)?
>
> Bill...
> (Money where my mouth is.)

In my opinion, all that you did with the above post is piss them off!  You
must remember that they have been in business there for the past seventeen
years.  I could name many places along the entire length of the AT that many
hikers find lacking in their offerings, but I'm not going to do it.

I doubt that you will find many folks who will kick in fifty-bucks to help a
commercial operation improve it's operating model.. Hikers make choices and
whether or not they choose to utilize those services offered by  businesses
along the trail corridor is usually based upon their own needs.

Outfits, such as hostels and stores, serving hikers along the trail are in
business to make a profit.  How those services rate is entirely a matter of
subjectivity among their customers...

I seriously doubt that you will change RSC's manner of operation...

This is just 'in my humble opinion' only.

Happy Memorial Day

Jack