Re[2]: [at-l] Water treatment stories

--- "L. Parker" <lparker@cacaphony.net> wrote:
> People, I have "hiked" all over the world, and over most of America.
> While I will admit that I still feel comfortable drinking water in the
US
> without treating it, the US is an ANOMALY. You are risking your life at
worst and a very uncomfortable time at best...you could quite possibly
DIE.

### So trot out the numbers on hiker deaths due to un-potable water, or
put a cork in the hysterics. Or hell, get your butt out on the trail and
see if carrying this crap around, fussing and fixing it in the rain and
bugs when your legs are cramping from squatting while dehydrated 'cause
you didn't want to BOTHER with the f*-ing filter....... Ahhhh, phuey.

> It is EXTREMELY irresponsible to even suggest that someone should NOT
> treat their water. You are playing with their LIVES.
### Who's playing with lives here? YOU are mandating AT hikers treat their
water. So tell me, how did the first THREE THOUSAND or so
throughhikers/2000 milers (who completed their journeys before the Golden
Age of Filtration was inaugurated by Madison Avenue) manage to do so,
without leaving scattered bodies up and down the eastern seaboard. When
you can answer THAT question, you'll start to get somewhere. Get a grip.

Please keep this in mind when
> responding to this thread, many people reading these postings are new
> and trusting their very lives to you, so please be responsible when you
> answer.
### Take your own medicine. Lighten your pack, while you're at it.

> Perhaps it is time that I reposted the story about Peck's Corner...
### I've hit Peck's Corner three times in the past year, including with my
kids. Yummy stuff. For that matter, for the RUN I just did coming down
into Damascus, I used a half-ounce cup and drank wonderfully and deeply
(and dumped over my head plenty), from EACH water source for that stretch.
Somehow, I suspect I'll live. I don't know... "experience"????

Irascibly,
Toe'dy

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!