[at-l] Busted Bones

<<<Who else is walking after wounding?>>>

I wasn't going to play in Kahley's, How Do You Break This, sandbox but then
thought that maybe my escapades might bring a smile or smirk here and there.
Between 13 & 17 nose broken 6 times. Highschool football in the days before
face masks. After breaks 1,2,3 & 4 I was one of the first guys in my area to
wear a Bar type "Nose Guard." Breaks 5 & 6 were when some 200+ pounder put my
135 lb body down head first, my helmet slipped and, you got it, the Nose
Guard broke my nose.
At 18 broke a bone in my hand while sled riding. Hit it on a car bumper
rolling off the sled to keep from running into the car. It was my car that
I'd parked across our mile long driveway/road to keep someone from trying to
drive up while we were 'coasting.' There is more to the story but it only
detracts from my chance at a Darwin Award.
At 35 broke 3 ribs when the ground contacted me in a little episode that
involved an old concrete topped cistern, a few gallons of gasoline, a lighted
match and a very large noise. Again quite a long story involved but you get
the picture.
At 37 compression fracture of second lumbar when the toboggan went from 30 or
so mph to zero in less than 1 second. Drawing a picture; the winter of
1977/1978 and its blizzards, about 2 feet of snow, Steep Ky hillside, several
drainages, lots of trees, a six foot toboggan, Bright sunshiny day with
melting of surface snow; many, many "runs" during the day resulting in a
bobsled type track. It's now ten pm with temps below zero, can you say, ice.
"Lets make one more run" (kinda like, Watch, you're not gonna believe this)
My 25 year old brother sitting cross legged in front me in the middle legs
forward on either side, my 12 year old son in the rear similarly seated.
Push off, Down the first steep grade, cross the drainage, start up the next
slope, just before the top lean hard left to turn down the flank, pick up
speed, let out a rebel yell or two as the toboggan jumps the track and starts
into virgin territory gaining more speed. Rutroe, a group of 3 or 4 trees
dead ahead, Hard lean left, they're coming up fast; No guts (good sense), 12
year old jumps ship, with the reduced weight and altered center of gravity
the rate of turn increases, the trees will be missed. Uncle & Dad yell
disparaging remarks in direction of ship jumper and laugh; mid laugh, enter
the drainage at a point where opposite bank is vertical to current direction
of travel. Dad sees billions of stars, while face is buried in snow; Dad
walks the 1/4 mile back to farm house cause it hurts too much to lay on the
toboggan and be pulled. Dad then walks down the one mile driveway to reach
the vehicles that couldn't get thru the deep snow (yes, this is the same
driveway from item 1), Dad curses continually and writhes in pain on 20 mile
ride to horse pistol.
Plum'Crazy
[don't know how my family came up with my trailname]
PS: Don't know why my now 36 year old son doesn't leave my grandsons with me
for very long.
PPS: Bye, I've gone hikin'

multipart/alternative
  text/html