[at-l] I've made a Pepsi Stove!

I am no longer a blind buyer of gear! I made my first alcohol stove
after looking at Mike's stove at TDs.

I went real simple with it, previously feeling intimidated by detailed
construction instructions and specs. I made a measuring stick by
nailing a brad into the end of a stick about the length of the 2nd
joint of my index finger (around 1.5 inches.) I cut the head of the
brad off and used it to score the bases of 2 soda cans, then took a
hand saw (dove tail saw actually) and finished the cuts. I then did the
same measurement for a skirt from one of the cut cans, sliced it in
half and rolled it tighter to fit inside the circle indentations in the
botton of the cans, cutting 4 small divots out of the botton of that
skirt.

Next I used an awl to make 8 small holes around the edge of the bottom
of one of the bottoms. I smashed the cans together with the skirt
dwelling in the circles, then tapes this mess together with metal tape.
The awl went to duty to make a larger hole in the middle of the top of
the stove. Done in 15 minutes.

Out on the driveway, I poured "some" denatured alcohol into the center
of the top and waited for it to drain down, repeating that about 6
times until I thought is was sort of full. I splashed a little extra
alcohol in the top and lit it. It made a large flame and died back,
with little blue flamelets from the awl's holes.

First try was to put my Wally World grease pot directly on the stove.
Flame went out quickly. I relit it, and placed the MSR windbreak folded
about 2/3rd's and spiralled around the stove. This gave a good pot
support and windscreen, heater for the stove and a bright and big blue
flame. I had boiling water within 5 minutes. It burned until I blew it
out about 15 minutes later.

This is simple and incredibly cool. This took a total of 4 saw cuts,
but could have been done with scissors. I think I could do it in 8
minutes, and suspect a RUCK contest would be to create a stove and
start a boil in the shortest time. KISS!

Bill...