[at-l] Topic: Federal Budget Cuts Threaten Existence Of AppalachianTrail **

I came across this.....Same deal...email woes again,  Sorry if duped

Topic: Federal Budget Cuts Threaten Existence Of Appalachian Trail **

BUDGET CUTS THREATEN EXISTENCE OF THE AT, MANY OTHER NATIONAL PARKS;
PARK SERVICE CALLS ON FEDS TO ADOP ATC MODEL

HARRISONBURG, Va.,  The Appalachian Trail and
many other national parks may be excised from the national park
system if congressional budget cutters decide to radically reduce
funding for the National Park Service.

"Congresses as a "covenant ... strongly supported by Republicans and
Democrats," criticized the new leadership in Washington saying that
it appears they "no longer intend to honor this long-standing
covenant. Although we are within a few years of completing a goal
that, for us, began nearly 60 years ago, we are told, in so many
words, that the nation can no longer afford to care for its priceless
natural resources or to provide for the outdoor-recreation needs of
its citizens."

      Jarvis said the budget for the NPS was .066 percent of the
federal budget.  Severe budget cuts would mean "we close a large park
like Yellowstone or 200 smaller parks" across the country.  Referring
to small, regional NPS units like the C & O Canal in Maryland and
Ford's Theatre where Abraham Lincoln was shot, Jarvis said, "These
are not unimportant places, they have national significance.""

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=appalachian+trail&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&rnum=
1&ic=1&selm=3unbu0%24iqt%40news.missouri.edu