Re[2]: [at-l] Appalachian Trail: The Quick Way

In a message dated 5/23/01 8:43:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, ellen@clinic.net
writes:

> However, the main problem with section hiking is that it is too difficult

 I'll agree with this one. It's why I've changed from a section hiker to a
future thru hiker. My remaining sections are checkboarded with Springer to
Neels Gap, and from Front Royal to Hanover. The logistics of 'picking up'
18.2 miles here, 38 miles there, 3.5 here are daunting and too time
consuming. I had thought about finishing the hike as a two month hop-scotch,
but there's just something anti-climatic to that. That's why I've been
'saving' Springer, for finality.
 But I'm only 45, and retirement is within 4 years. The kids are getting
older, Mrs TJ is extremely supportive, and I'm back in shape after breaking
my back. So I'll do my thru, south to north, enjoying the sections I've done,
and discovering the sections I've missed.
 It's true, sectioneering is a more difficult method than single season
thruhiking.
TJ

multipart/alternative
  text/html