[at-l] The Pecking Order

RussDade@aol.com wrote:

>All you PA hikers brought this on yourselves!!!
>
>If you didn't do such a damn good job of maintaining
>the trails  (for free) they would have given you more money!
>:)

Russ -
You may be right.  But there are sections of trail that aren't being
maintained now.  The PA MidState Trail now has a reroute and more are
planned because the trail was given up to the horsey people - by PA DCNR
people.

Interesting story - some time ago the horsey people came to DCNR and said
"give us the tools and we'll build our own trails."  So DCNR gave them the
tools and they went off to build trail.  A couple months later the horsey
people brought the tools back and said "this is too hard - you build the
trails for us."  So DCNR took the tools back and gave them parts of the
MidState Trail because DCNR doesn't have the money, manpower or desire to
build horse trails.

So now the MidState Trail Assoc. has closed those parts of the MidState
Trail and is recommending alternate routes.  And looking for trail reroutes
around the State Forest with the hiker-unfriendly Forester.

There's a lot more to be said about this - but it'll keep till another day -

Walk softly,
Jim