[at-l] Wingfoot

>he made to ATML listers. Several ATMLers sent emails via TP's mailbot >(is
>that really a word?) out saying that they were being pressured >into
>sending the emails they sent. I agree it was configured to allow >WF to
>claim credit. I feel he was putting himself above the Trail. He

Its too bad more people didn't send in letters.

We may never know how many letters and calls were received by the
politicians, but it is a matter of record that relatively few were received
in support of the more conservation minded alternatives put fort in the
Draft Environmental Impact Statement.  Remember that?

The entire Trailplace initiate began as a way to comment on the D.I.S.
There was a mechanism on his site for people to print out their comments and
send them in as snail mail.   At least the Park Service heard from people
who cared about the preservation of Saddleback.

That the Trailplace campaign wasn't able to sway Maine Politicians should
come as no surprise.  Remember, that phase of Trailplace initiative came
later.  It was first designed to generated comments directed to the Park
Service through its formal DIS comment process.

WF had one tool, Trailplace, to give it his best shot.  He continued to use
the only tool he had available after the power brokers came in to play.  In
the end, the Breens hired a law firm that arranged for Maine Democrat icon
George Mitchell to sit down with the head of the NPS and hammer out a deal
favorable to "his friends".  In the background, you had a couple Republican
politicians fighting over crumbs after the wise use people had their hats
handed to them by Clinton out West.  The ATC had thrown in the towel from
day one and the AMC was keeping its mouth shut.  Yet folks are pissed at WF?

The problem, lest we forget, is not WF.  The problem is that we don't have
more people doing things like he TRIED to do with Trailplace.  Sometimes all
this harping reminds me of the sports fans who shout the "Quarterback Sucks"
when they themselvs got cut from the JV team years ago.  The analogy breaks
down however.  Those disgruntled fans bought a ticket.

Lest anyone get the wrong idea, I understand and respect the fact than many
on this list have done a great deal for the Trail.  By defending WF on this
issue I do not mean in anyway to disrespect the good deeds you are doing.  I
also recognize that those who contribute nothing to the Trail may be making
great contributions in other areas.  That's OK too. If you think of me as a
WF rumpswab, I can live with that.  I am not dissing anyone.  Likewise, when
I thanked R&R for his contributions I was not trying to run anyone down.
Like the 4 people who sent me e-mails off list made clear, a lot of people
on this list deserve thanks for what they do.  So thanks.  Really.