[at-l] Wingfoot & Saddleback

In a message dated 5/20/01 8:57:48 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
gaudet@mediaone.net writes:

<< I think the postcards have more weight.
 (Inherent mistrust of technology??)

   ~~~ From what I saw, postcards have less weight because they are obviously
preprinted and handed out. All they require is some brief propaganda and a
signature and they count as a vote. The responder doesn't need to research
the issue deeply or even form his own opinion or write his own words. These
solicited postcards are usually best used if the target group is vulnerable
to inspection of purpose or method. It was never determined if they were
weighed equally with letters written by persons with a background of Trail
concern.

 To orient folks: Alternative #1 was the one that Wingfoot was
 supporting. Alternative #3 received a large number of preprinted
 postcards in support of the Saddleback Ski Area. I'm a little vague
 on the details of how it all turned out. I seem to remember that AMC
 supported Alternative #2, and I think the final settlement is closest
 to this Alternative. (It protects the visual foreground zone as seen
 from the AT, preserves the alpine zone and nearly all the sub-alpine
 zone. Also protects Eddy Pond, which I think is a part of the final
 settlement.)

    ~~~ I think the final outcome was closer to alternative #3 plus some
bonuses. What is uncertain (and what Weary brings up) is whether the threat
to develop the entire mountain was actually possible by the struggling owner.
In any case, if this threat was pursued, the NPS would have condemned under
eminent domain and prevented the "Saddle" crossing trails across the
condemned corridor. This would have prohibited the total mountain area as
planned, but the problem was that the remaining part was vulnerable to
payback by the owner. Even with the corridor not available he could have made
life miserable by forcing his property rights and developing just about
everything else while sucking the pond dry. Ugly lift house backs looking you
right in the eye, machine noise, narrow corridor, close ski trails - it pains
me to keep thinking of more...
    So, I believe this is what Weary meant by "what we could have gotten for
free" (or the assessed condemnation value).  What is clear to me is that the
owner duped us into thinking he was going to develop it all and got us to pay
ransom rates for his surplus acreage (south side). What is tragic is that
this overcharge will eventually finance the undoing of the wilderness on
Saddleback by paying for it.

 Anyway, in counting up the cards, letters and email from the public
 here's what the report has to say:
 Alternative #1 - "Approximately 38.2 % of the comments were provided
 in letter form and 59.0 % of the comments provided via electronic
 mail. It was apparent that many of the electronic mail submissions
 were generated by people who had contacted a specific website that
 provided information about the Appalachian Trail and the issue of
 Trail protection on Saddleback Mountain." The total was 1051 email
 submissions.
 Alternative #3 - "71.2 % of the responses were provided in preprinted
 postcard form and 25.9 % in preprinted questionnaire form. All of the
 postcards were identical in form and content and were received as
 part of a bulk mail submission from Saddleback Ski Area. It was
 apparent that all of the postcards were the result of a campaign by
 the ski area to generate support for this alternative." The total was
 1550 preprinted postcard submissions.

    ~~~ The grassroots curve was obviously not honored. A private enterprise
financed drive is not of the same class as a public conservation zone
non-profit concern and should be considered for the difference in vested
interest. Locals driven to hysterics by demonized effigies of virulent enviro
body snatchers should not be compared to the overstretched body of Trail
advocates who are fighting the slow attrition of their wilderness corridor.
Seeing how comfortable Washington now is with paid lobbying, I see where this
would now be overlooked. The postcards, in this instance, are of the same
degree as bought votes outside the voting place -all delivered in one company
mail sack.

 So it seems that one technique may have balanced the other, or nearly
 so. Saddleback trumped the email submissions with postcards only
 after they got wind of Wingfoot's campaign (again, my memory). There
 were 100 or so email submissions that _did not_ use the Wingfoot
 template (one was mine), compared with 34 postcards that _did not_
 use the Saddleback card.

    ~~~ There is enough evidence to at least suggest that the postcard vs
e-mail was a moot point by the time it got to that point. The
closed-to-public session and other shaky situations like "wise use", the
owner's lawyer speaking to the Interior dept agent, and the fact that
looming, larger political shifts and project timetables were used to rush the
deal through, point towards a prearranged goal which makes me think we were
not really considered. Remember that the comfortable cooperation arrangement
between ATC and NPS depends on smooth relationships and public opinion. These
ties are not invulnerable to interruptions by new regimes who feel they
overstepped their bounds and hurt constituents in friendly territory. Just as
the Saddleback owner could make life miserable, so could others on a bigger
scale. That is where we should have come in...

    It appears the big winner here was the owner. We will see how much he
really cares about the locals as his plan progresses. The loser was mainly
the Trail. Yes, we will be allowed an illusion of wilderness in one of the
precious few remaining areas of AT where the Trail actually traverses real,
dark and deep wilds. But this sounds too sentimental, I understate the real
impact it will have in reducing the last remaining link in the unprotected
chain of AT in Maine to a backyard walk of a ski area with all its
accompanying intrusions of civilization in a place that fundamentally defines
itself as the opposite of that. Make no mistake that the feeling of being on
Saddleback is partly due to the fact that it is so far from civilization.
Just KNOWING the ski area is within a few hundred feet is nearly as bad as
walking through it. The flora and fauna also depend on forest continuity to
remain at the level at which they presently exist.

   If there was only one last mountain to be saved on this trail, that has
come to embody a symbol of environmental preservation, it should have been
saved, not willingly handed over to a speculator with no regard for the
Trail. The Appalachian Trail, with all its world wide visibility, is much
more important than the pains felt by a town that is exhibiting all the signs
of the normal paradigm reaching its limits but refusing to change. I truly
believe that saving the Trail was more in their long-term interest than a
risky venture with no guarantees that could fail and still leave the Trail
ruined. Instead they turn to the AT for relief and cut into its side with
politicians using it as a visible sacrifice to buy time. There are plenty of
mountains in Maine, there is only one AT. I can't believe this happened with
us watching. The more precious commodity and expensive loss here was the AT
not a crap chute.