[at-l] WF, Saddleback, et al

Another list I read had a very appropriate message involving this
subject. I believe the issue regarding WF and others has little to do
with emotion, and everything to do with credibility. -->

"Cassandra is the Trojan seer who uttered true prophecies but lacked
the
power of persuasion. So no one ever believed her words.

This daughter of the king of Troy was taught the art of prophecy by
Apollo, who wished to gain her love. But as she refused him, after
having promised to consent, Apollo deprived her prophecy of the power
persuade.Some have said that Cassandra fell asleep in the temple of
Apollo, and when the god tried to embrace her, she did not allow him.

That is why Apollo brought it about that she should never be believed,
thus making vain his gift of prophecy. For that reason she says:
"Apollo, my destroyer, for you have destroyed me..."
[Aeschylus,Agamemnon 1080]

Because, as she acknowledges: "I promised consent to Apollo but broke
my
word... and ever since that fault I could persuade no one." [Aeschylus,
Agamemnon 1208ff.]

For this reason Cassandra was not believed when, near the end of the
Trojan War, she said that there was an armed force hidden in the WOODEN
HORSE that the Achaeans had abandoned."

Bill...
just back and very tired from my first Trail Days/Daze