[at-l] The Reverend and sundry matters

I sensed that the reverend or his alter ego lead the fight to preserve the several thousand acres
near Max Patch last year. And he lead the largely successful effort to gain public support for the
preservation of Saddleback, though in the end we failed in gaining meaningful protection for the
mountain. He certainly joined with others and was ahead of the ATC in his efforts
to thwart the Putnam mine.

There is no doubt about his dedication to the trail. There is some doubt about whether he uses that dedication
wisely.

But then, no one's perfect. Not even RnR, who also is dedicated to the trail -- if not always
wisely.

Having been involved in these matters for more decades than I like to think about, I try to accept
the good that people do and work against the bad. In my experience there should be no permanent enemies
among dedicated people, just disagreement over tactics that sadly are sometimes expressed so forcefully as
to do damage.

Weary '93