FW: [at-l] The Pecking Order

in article mailman.990016391.76598.at-l@mailman.backcountry.net, James
Bullard at bullard@northnet.org wrote on 5/16/01 8:31 AM:

> There is a long standing notion in the business community that hikers don't
> spend as much money on their outings as those who use wheels, especially
> motorized wheels (dirt bikes, ATVs and the like).

Whether this is true or not, the fact is that hikers spend a great deal of
time, energy and creativity finding ways to make the things they use cheaper
(reused and therefore free is best) and lighter (0 oz by omitting an item
entirely is best). So I can believe that we do not spend as much as folks
would like us to. And I imagine as a group we are somewhat indifferent to
branding and the latest hot item everyone "just has to have."

I'll wear the cheapskate label proudly. It's always fascinated me how
impressed folks are with Yankee ingenuity, unless that ingenuity serves to
_avoid_ consumption! Then it just ticks people off.

And while we're at it, here's a thought California: How about conserving
some energy?

Pokey The Curmudgeon