[at-l] SOBO vs NOBO

--- James Bullard <bullard@northnet.org> wrote:
> At 08:33 AM 5/16/01 -0400, Snodrog5@aol.com wrote:
> higher than average percentage of older hikers
> finishes a thru.  More
> realistic expectations?  Greater stamina?  More
> stubborn? ;)

Last year Terry Norton (Ultralite '98) and I were up
at Leadville doing some camping and dayhiking Mt.
Elbert up by Leadville, CO. It was also the same
weekend as the Leadville 100. A 100 mile ultra
marathon at 10k+ feet!!!! Ouch!

Anyway, we stopped by the half way point and chit
chatted with some of the pace runners and organizers.

According to them, most of the ultras are in their mid
30's or older. Very few twentysomethings seems to get
into ultrarunning.  So, maybe there is something to
the age =more stamina and =more dedication thing.

Mags (who is a stubborn 27 yo (This saturday, anyway)
...god help me if I get more stubborn 20 years from
now. :D)

ps. Terry headed out this morning to drive back to his
folks house in Miss.  HE will be starting his MEGA
hike soon!  Lucky guy!

=====