[at-l] AT Dry Spell - Forest Fire Danger

I don't pretend to be a meteorologist, but from weather site observations I
see we are now in what can officially be called a dry weather pattern,
verging on drought, up the AT.

    I see from satellite pictures that very few cloud banks have lingered
over the Trail for a while. This is unusual for Spring when we usually get
the most rain. This is what I meant this winter by, "unless we see a severe
drop-off in rain, the springs should be high through the usual dry areas in
the mid-Atlantic from the record snows." I guess we saw the severe drop-off.
I would suspect, though, that the springs will still have some water because
snowpack run-off is usually independent of rainfall.

      I have seen a notice that Harriman State Park has gone right to 5 of 5
status of highest fire danger. The conditions are ripe for large-spread
forest fires. These conditions are similar to what was seen in the late 80's
and early 90's when Harriman had a rare tree crown fire that took many of the
ridgeline blaze oaks on West Mountain.

   This took many years of maintenance to repair due to the need to carry up
4 by 4 pressure-treated posts to compensate for the lack of blazes. Then the
succession forest of black birch, aspen, fireweed, and maple choked the
treadway with flourishing growth on the ash fertilizer and sun-exposed forest
floor. We had to do an emergency trail clearing in mid-summer on a stretch
that was normally wide-open with little care for growth.

     I guess this is what resulted from the extraordinarily warm water that
was detected to be pooling in the western pacific this spring. My instincts
say this warm weather is premature and will break, but if it doesn't, we are
in line for a whopping drought worse than what happened in 1999. Every day
without rain leads further and further towards that possibility. So, AT
hikers should be aware and plan for water diversions.

     At this point hikers must assume a responsibility of extreme care and
avoid all open flames (except cautious stove use). AT through-hikers were
given special exemption to the hiking ban of recent times in closed Trail
sections in State Parks. This was an agreement worked out with the local
authority by the clubs in order to allow one-time area visiting
through-hikers to continue their hike and see the area. Otherwise, the
official route becomes a paved road through the park. It was agreed to only
because the rangers believed through-hikers to be a step above the public in
fire safety awareness. Needless to say, it will take only one thoughtless
through-hiker to destroy what took years to gain in trust with these
authorities. This is not a joke, or something to be taken lightly, and
through-hikers have to look after each other to keep the goofers from messing
it up for everyone.