[at-l] Re: Grandfather Washington

El Batboy wrote:

>If you find the Grandfather.com link that show the Monthy/Yearly summary of
>Granfather Mountain Weather Data, I think you will see that the daily wind
>speeds (MPH)for the month of April range from a low of about 9 MPH to a
>high of 126MPH.  These 30 data points are averaged to yeild an average of
>42.473 MPH for that month.
>
>But what is this 42.473 an average of?  I believe that it is reasonable to
>assume that the 126MPH windspeed listed for April 16th was not the average
>wind speed for that day, but rather the highest gust for that day.  If that
>is so, this tells us that the 42.473 MPH figure is an average of the DAILY
>PEAK wind speeds.  This is very different than what one would normally
>think of as an average wind speed for the month.

You may be right - but the only way to be even "reasonably" sure is to email
Kinney Baughman and ask what numbers the program actually uses.

>I'm not sure you can make a good comparison between the average daily peak
>windspeeds on Grandfather and the just the average windspeed on Washington.
>  My assumtions might be wrong, but...

Hmmm - "just the average windspeed on Washington" ????   Why do you think
"average" means something different for Washington than it does for
Grandfather?  You might want to talk to someone at Washington and find out
what numbers they use too.

Walk softly - and be careful with mythical numbers (they bite),
Jim