[at-l] Re: Grandfather Washington

Hi - you write:

>I am wondering if the average wind speed for Grandfather Mountain was
>indeed 40+ MPH last month. That sounds more like the average of the daily
>highs to me. <

Average daily high was 54.76 degrees (low was 40.1 - both being above
average).

>I think you might be comparing apples and oranges.

For snowfall (and temp), I would agree. For Grandfather to beat Washington's
April snow was definitely a rare event, requiring the former to be above
normal while at the same time the latter being well below normal. That in
itself made it noteworthy.

Regarding wind speed, I wouldn't go as far as calling it apples and oranges.
I've made this monthly wind comparison for a while now, and I've noticed
that Grandfather's monthly average has been within 5 mph of Washington's on
many occasions (if not exceeding it). Also, hurricane wind speeds are
reached during most months of the year, and often on several days of each
month, with between five and ten days a year reaching more than 100 mph. In
April 1997, they measured 198 mph - at a location that is about 700 vertical
feet below the summit. The odds are very high that up on the peak at the
same time, winds were gusting well over 200.

Here are the two web sites that have the April numbers. They'll be posted
until the first few days of June.

http://users.vnet.net/srankin/wx/gfather.htm

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/summary.html

Thanks for writing,